Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fashion Advice: Lace Fabrics

Hellos….ready for today’s fashion advice? Good! Well it’s more of a “discussion” than advice let’s talk fabrics. Lace has been around for centuries and it looks like it’s not going anywhere anytime soon…one of my favorite classic fabrics. If you follow trends you’ll notice that it has been on the runway a lot since last year and still going strong. The nice thing with lace is that it can be combined with other fabrics and will give you that elegant, feminine look. It can be dresses down or all the way out (my style). See examples below of how you can get “laced” up. I think every girl should have a few lacey items in her closet for obvious reasons and no I don’t mean just underwear but dresses etc. Valentino SS 2012, Givenchy Haute Couture A/W 2011/12, Elie Saab Spring 2012 Couture please google these shows to see how lace was used in their collections.

Happy Wednesday!
Love
Fatima
xxx
So I was trying to school myself with the different types of lace fabrics out there. I used cropped pics from my pc to come up with this “fabric chart” think it came out alright for a beginner. Anyway for educational purposes there are three types of common  laces used. Crochet lace: I think the best explanation with this one, think of those table cloths that your gran used to make…something similar. Needle lace: created using a needle and thread to stitch up hundreds of small stitches to form the lace itself. Bobbin lace uses thread wrapped around numerous bobbins braided and twisted into fabric.
For the more fun part! How to wear lace!

I chose to go with black with a hint of gold on this set, to portray that elegance that lace adds.


For this set again chose classic colors black and white, note the insert of lace on the white shirt adds that perfect edge to the outfit and makes the shirt stands out.


And lastly, this is an all lace set mixing different lace patterns and a pop of color to keep things interesting.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!
    Thank you so much for this post.
    I've had this debate with myself for a long time "to lace up or space out" I've always wanted to incorporate lace into my wardrobe but the "how" part is the one that boggles my mind.
    Now that you made this post, I'm going to make an effort to take that first step to getting "laced up"
    When I make a trip to the fabric store, lace will be one of the top 3 fabrics I'll be getting.
    Thanks for this post :) Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahw Bojo I'm so happy that u found this useful. I better start thinking of next week's one. Thank u for the love
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. visit http://www.facebook.com/Fatima.Halwani.Haute.Couture

    ReplyDelete